Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Swiss Alps - high in the sky

Ok so I didn't really go to the Swiss Alps ... but one can dream, right? Anyway on our flight to Barcelona, Friday afternoon, we had the most incredible view of the Alps as we flew over Switzerland.


At the time we were flying over Switzerland, I just so happened to be reading the chapter about the Swiss in book that I take with me on every trip, The Geography of Bliss. It is an amazing story about a journalist's search to find the happiest places in the world (as listed in the World Database of Happiness kept in Rotterdam, Netherlands) and all about his travels along the way.

A quote from the book: "Our fondue comes in a large bowl, not orange, and it's good. After a few helpings, the euphoria is gone, but I'm feeling, I think, very Swiss. Satisfied. Neutral. Maybe this explains Swiss neutrality. Maybe it's not based on a deep-seated morality but a more practical reason. Fondue and war don't mix."

I love fondue and after seeing the Alps and reading this particular chapter, Switzerland has soared to the top of my list for places to go on my next trip to Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment